Thursday, March 25, 2010

Feeding the Community by Grace Alone

Original post made by organization founder, Alison Wallace, on Monday, October 5, 2009.


We are so exited about what God is doing right now, it seems the less we have of 'us', the more we have of 'Him'.


James 1:27: Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and father is this: To visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep ones self unstained by the world.

For so long I had watched and worried as we begged people to donate money and food to help feed the local people of Coweta County. I spent many days walking through the local food bank crying and worrying, wondering how on earth we were going to feed the next wave of hungry people. Then I realized what the problem was; ME, I, US! We can never rely on ourselves or others to sustain. If it is His will then it will be taken care of.

Yes we can give, but why do we give? Is it through obedience to God? Is that what He has led us to do or do we simply do it because it makes us feel good? Way to go! Good for us! For so long that has been my reason (not purposely). I just did not have that close relationship with my Father. I didn't get it. I could only hear me. I was making choices, doing what I thought was right.

One day, while on my way home from taking my dog to the vets, I got from out of no where (or so i thought) the urge to stop in a the New food lion on 29. I remember thinking "I can't go in there looking like this!" "Yes you can! This isn't about you. This is about getting food for the people." I began to fight with myself. The next thing I knew I was pouring my heart out to Pam Chambers, one of the managers of Food Lion. Well, by the time I finished saying what I had to say, she was on a mission. Both of us had mascara running down our faces and, that very day, she began a food drive. Within 5 weeks the customers of Food Lion had raised over 3000 items for the local food bank.

It didn't take long for J.J, the Store Manager, to see there was a growing need. He spoke to the produce and deli departments and asked them to put on one side certain items each day for me to pick up. Then I got a call from the Food Lion store in Sargent on Hwy 16. Same response there. It became such an incredible outpouring that on September 17Th 2009, 'Bridging The Gap' was formed.

Since that day 14 outreach centers around Coweta are served. 280 people were fed in just one week, just because people cared enough. God said "Now, you are listening and following, and now my people will be fed."


In Christ,

No comments:

Post a Comment